What is VPS?
The VPS's appeared, because the "mainframes" (high performance servers) had really low resource usage.For example hosting of one or hundreds of websites usually do not load a mainframe server more than 0.2%-5%. The virtual server technology enables the VPSs to share the remaining resources.
You can run any kind of online service on your VPS!
- Your own website
- Secure web storage (remote shared FTP for companies)
- Game server for any kind of multiplayer games
- MMORPG server
- WEB hosting
- Collaboration programs
- Mail server
- The opportunities are indefined...
On a VPS it is strictly forbidden to:
- Store or distribute illegal content
- Send SPAM mails
- Host an Open Relay mail server
- Host an Open DNS server
- Do any kind of attack and/or network scanning
- Use a Torrent Client to access/distribute illegal content
- Run an IRC bot or Client
In addition you are not up to strange administrators. You can forget the old hat Apache versions. You can decide about your system environment. (Choose services, modules and programs.)